cDNA synthesis and RNA Gel

     This week we ran our RNA samples from last week, so i got to make and run a RNA gel for the first time. 

    Monday Deja transformed a small amount of our T1 RNA sample into cDNA using a new kit. Our usual kit was gone, so in the mean time we tried a small amount of our sample with a new kit that had different steps to see if it would work. The only way to see if it had worked was to run qPCR, so that's what we did Tuesday. Unfortunately it did not work, so we would need to wait for our usual kit to get it, but we still had the rest of the samples. 

    Wednesday I taught Lizzie and Iditi, to people in the lab who had never done the RNA isolation procedure, how to do it. It was good for me to sit and run through all the steps, and explain each one and make sure it was being done correctly and precisely. It helped me gain a better understanding of the procedure, and what different steps did. 

    Thursday was mainly doing a few things to help Lani out with her upcoming poster, like doing graham stains or making gels. Friday was when I finally ran the RNA gel. 

    I did mess up a few times in the beginning. At first I made the gel itself without any midori green, so I had to remake that. I also did the dilutions like normal, trying to get 10μl of sample, expecting to add 2μl of dye. However after diluting the samples I realized that the RNA gel dye was 2X, not 6X like normal dye. In the end it was fine, with maybe a microliter or so not fitting in the wells due to the large amount. And at the very end, on my way back to look at the gel... I dropped it. We pieced it back together, and the gel turned out fine, but it was a good lesson to be careful and always plan ahead. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summary of 'the effect of magnetic field on the activity of superoxide dismutase'

Aquaticus Lyse

Linear Plasmids, Restriction Enzyme Ligation and Plasmid Extractions